The NFL and the NFL Player’s Association finalized their agreement to play as the COVID-19 pandemic continues. As part of the agreement, players have the option to opt-out of the season.
Players who opt-out will essentially receive an advance of $150,000 (the exact language of the agreement has yet to be reported. The amount will then be deducted from the player’s pay the following season.
[Follow Pro Football Action’s Facebook page for the latest on the NFL]
Basically, players are allowed a one-year break, with contracts picking up in 2021 where they left off this season. Chiefs guard Laurent Duvernay-Tardif was the first player to opt-out (Kansas City replaced him with former All-Pro Kelechi Osemele via a one-year deal). Here’s the full list of players who have opted out along with the role they were expected to play for their teams:
New England Patriots
- RB Brandon Bolden – Special teams contributor, backup RB.
- FB Danny Vitale – Projected starting fullback.
- LB Dont’a Hightower – Starter.
- T Marcus Cannon* – Projected Starter.
- WR Marqise Lee – Wide receiver depth.
- TE Matt LaCosse – Potential Starter.
- G Najee Toran – Likely backup lineman.
- S Patrick Chung – Starter
New York Jets
- WR Josh Doctson – Expected to compete for role on offense.
- C Leo Koloamatangi -Backup lineman.
- LB C.J. Mosley – Starter.
- DT Andrew Billings – Starter.
- G Colby Gossett* – Expected to compete for starting right guard.
- T Drake Dorbeck – Likely practice squad player.
- G Drew Forbes* – Expected to compete for starting right guard spot.
- G Malcolm Pridgeon – Line Depth.
- DT Eddie Vanderdoes -Defensive line rotation.
- DT Al Woods – Potential starter
- DE Lerentee McCray Backup edge/special teams.
- CB Rashaan Melvin – Potential starter.
- T Anthony McKinney – Potential end of roster lineman.
Kansas City Chiefs
- G Laurent Duvernay-Tardif – Starting guard.
- RB Damien Williams – Starting running back.
- T Lucas Niang – 2020 third-rounder, not expected to start right away.
Las Vegas Raiders
- DB D.J. Killings – End of roster player
- DE Jeremiah Valoaga -Line depth.
- LB Ukeme Eligwe – Linebacker depth.
Los Angeles Chargers
- FB Jamize Olawale – Top fullback.
- CB Maurice Canady – Likely backup cornerback.
- WR Stephen Guidry – Rookie, end of roster player.
New York Giants
- WR Da’Mari Scott – Wide receiver depth
- T Nate Solder -Starting left tackle.
- CB Sam Beal – Likely starter.
- WR Marquise Goodwin – Potential starter, offensive contributor.
Washington Football Team
- WR Geronimo Allison – Wideout depth.
- DT John Atkins – Rotational lineman.
- C Russell Bodine – Line depth.
Green Bay Packers
- WR Devin Funchess – Likely starter.
- DT Michael Pierce – Starter
- LB Christian Miller – Linebacker rotation.
- LB Jordan Mack – Rookie, borderline roster player.
New Orleans Saints
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- T Brad Seaton* -Potential depth.
- T Marcus Gilbert – Expected starter.
Los Angeles Rams
- T Chandler Brewer – Backup lineman.
San Francisco 49ers
- C Jake Brendel – Potential line depth.
- T Shon Coleman* – Potential line depth.
- WR Travis Benjamin – Wide receiver depth.
- G Chance Warmack – Expected to compete for starting spot.
*Considered “high-risk” opt-out, which can include moderate-to-severe asthma, sickle cell disease, or type 2 diabetes among other ailments. “High-risk” opt-outs get credit for the season, so while they don’t get their full salary, they gain a credited/accrued season.
**Free agent G Larry Warford, who most recently started for the Saints, has also opted out of the upcoming season.