The NFL and the NFL Player’s Association finalized their agreement to play as the COVID-19 pandemic continues. As part of the agreement, players have the option to opt-out of the season.
Players who opt-out will essentially receive an advance of $150,000 (the exact language of the agreement has yet to be reported. The amount will then be deducted from the player’s pay the following season.
Follow Pro Football Action’s Facebook page for the latest NFL news, rumors and betting insight.
Basically, players are allowed a one-year break, with contracts picking up in 2021 where they left off this season. Chiefs guard Laurent Duvernay-Tardif was the first player to opt-out (Kansas City replaced him with former All-Pro Kelechi Osemele via a one-year deal). Here’s the full list of players who have opted out along with the role they were expected to play for their teams:
New England Patriots
- RB Brandon Bolden – Special teams contributor, backup RB.
- FB Danny Vitale – Projected starting fullback.
- LB Dont’a Hightower – Starter.
- T Marcus Cannon* – Projected Starter.
- WR Marqise Lee – Wide receiver depth.
- TE Matt LaCosse – Potential Starter.
- G Najee Toran – Likely backup lineman.
- S Patrick Chung – Starter
New York Jets
- WR Josh Doctson – Expected to compete for role on offense.
- C Leo Koloamatangi -Backup lineman.
- LB C.J. Mosley – Starter.
- DT Andrew Billings – Starter.
- G Colby Gossett* – Expected to compete for starting right guard.
- T Drake Dorbeck – Likely practice squad player.
- G Drew Forbes* – Expected to compete for starting right guard spot.
- G Malcolm Pridgeon – Line Depth.
- DT Eddie Vanderdoes -Defensive line rotation.
- DT Al Woods – Potential starter
- DE Lerentee McCray Backup edge/special teams.
- CB Rashaan Melvin – Potential starter.
- T Anthony McKinney – Potential end of roster lineman.
Kansas City Chiefs
- G Laurent Duvernay-Tardif – Starting guard.
- RB Damien Williams – Starting running back.
- T Lucas Niang – 2020 third-rounder, not expected to start right away.
Las Vegas Raiders
- DB D.J. Killings – End of roster player
- DE Jeremiah Valoaga -Line depth.
- LB Ukeme Eligwe – Linebacker depth.
Los Angeles Chargers
- FB Jamize Olawale – Top fullback.
- CB Maurice Canady – Likely backup cornerback.
- WR Stephen Guidry – Rookie, end of roster player.
New York Giants
- WR Da’Mari Scott – Wide receiver depth
- T Nate Solder -Starting left tackle.
- CB Sam Beal – Likely starter.
- WR Marquise Goodwin – Potential starter, offensive contributor.
Washington Football Team
- WR Geronimo Allison – Wideout depth.
- DT John Atkins – Rotational lineman.
- C Russell Bodine – Line depth.
Green Bay Packers
- WR Devin Funchess – Likely starter.
- DT Michael Pierce – Starter
- LB Christian Miller – Linebacker rotation.
- LB Jordan Mack – Rookie, borderline roster player.
New Orleans Saints
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- T Brad Seaton* -Potential depth.
- T Marcus Gilbert – Expected starter.
Los Angeles Rams
- T Chandler Brewer – Backup lineman.
San Francisco 49ers
- C Jake Brendel – Potential line depth.
- T Shon Coleman* – Potential line depth.
- WR Travis Benjamin – Wide receiver depth.
- G Chance Warmack – Expected to compete for starting spot.
*Considered “high-risk” opt-out, which can include moderate-to-severe asthma, sickle cell disease, or type 2 diabetes among other ailments. “High-risk” opt-outs get credit for the season, so while they don’t get their full salary, they gain a credited/accrued season.
**Free agent G Larry Warford, who most recently started for the Saints, has also opted out of the upcoming season.