Cam Newton joining the Patriots shifts the betting outlook for New England in terms of the franchise’s Super Bowl and AFC Championship odds. The signing also boosts Newton’s chances of winning the MVP, or at least that’s what oddsmakers believe.
Only eight players are seen as more likely to win the MVP than Newton, who took home the award back in 2015. Here are the favorites to win the award in 2020 (via Bet MGM):
- Patrick Mahomes, Chiefs: +375
- Russell Wilson, Seahawks: +600
- Lamar Jackson, Ravens: +600
- Dak Prescott, Cowboys: +1200
- Drew Brees, Saints:+1600
- Tom Brady, Buccaneers: +1600
- Deshaun Watson, Texans: +1700
- Carson Wentz, Eagles: +1700
- Aaron Rodgers, Packers: +2500
- Kyler Murray, Cardinals: +2500
- Cam Newton, Patriots: +2500
- Baker Mayfield, Browns: +2900
Other notable odds include Matt Ryan at +4000, Ezekiel Elliott at +7000, and Mike Evans at +10,000.
Expectations for Newton
Newton capturing his second MVP this season would be an upset, though he is surely motivated to prove to the Panthers and the rest of the NFL that they made a mistake by letting him linger in free agency this long. If he performs well, he surely won’t have to wait as long for a team to ink him to a deal.
ESPN’s Mike Clay predicts 13 starts for Newton, which bakes in the level of his injury risk as well as the chances that Jarrett Stidham begins the season as the starter. Clay projects the Newton to throw for 17 touchdowns, 10 interceptions and throw for nearly 3,000 yards in addition to running for 358 yards on the ground.